Long Island University
long island university new york
Founded in 1926 in Brooklyn, N.Y., Long Island University (LIU) began its journey with the simple principle of educating and empowering men and women from all walks of life. LIU has now become one of US largest private universities, with more than 500 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs and certificates, each year across multiple campuses. LIU continuously strives to cultivate and expand academic, professional, artistic, and co-curricular opportunities.
From the shores of Long Island, to the epicenter of business and tech innovation in Brooklyn, spanning to the far corners of the world, Long Island University offers a unique college experience for every student seeking academic enrichment and professional opportunity. Once you graduate, the students join a community of more than 200,000 alumni to become global leaders in fields that include the arts, health sciences, media, education, pharmacy, business, technology, public service, and professional sports.
LIU Post is a scenic, historic, and scholarly campus that offers a small-school environment, having access and resources of a major metropolitan university. Ranked as “Best Regional University” by U.S. News and World Report, LIU Post offers more than 200 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and certificate programs. Their campus cultivates entrepreneurial spirit in the students through high-tech startup incubator and student-run businesses that include a full-service clothing boutique, treat shop, and sports lounge. Their 307-acre grounds is home to the world-renowned Tilles Center for the Performing Arts and the new Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium, where students, alumni, family, and friends gather to cheer on the Pioneers’ top ranked NCAA Division II athletics programs.
LIU Brooklyn enables students to realize their full potential as ethical, intellectual and socially responsible citizens. Their professional programs in health care is the largest more than any other single campus in the New York metropolitan area, including the Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy & Health Science (the first College of Pharmacy in the state of New York) and the Harriet Rothkopf Heilbrunn School of Nursing, the only university-based academic nursing center in Brooklyn. The School of Nursing boasts a state-of the-art simulation learning laboratory, where nursing students actively participate in on-campus intensive learning immersion scenarios. LIU Brooklyn is also home to Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts, a dynamic, state-of-the-art performance venue designed to nourish students’ artistic exploration while providing the community with greater access to an exciting range of professional performances.
Why choose LIU?
Awards & Recognition
- LIU Post and LIU Brooklyn have both been named to the President’s Community Service Honor Roll.
- LIU has been named a Military-Friendly School by G.I. Jobs, and was named to U.S. Veterans Magazine’s list of “Top Veteran-Friendly Schools.
- LIU Post and LIU Brooklyn are both rated “Best for Vets” among the nation’s business schools by Military Times.
- LIU Post’s College of Management has been named to the Princeton Review’s list of “The Best Business Schools” for 13 consecutive years.
- LIU Post’s School of Health Professions and Nursing’s nutrition program was rated one of the top 3 nutrition programs in NYC by whatdegreeshouldiget.org.
- LIU Brooklyn is ranked as the nation’s Best School for Health Professional Majors by Payscale.com.
- LIU Brooklyn is ranked as one of the top 50 Colleges in the Northeast for Salary Potential by Payscale.com.
- LIU Brooklyn’s Speech-Language Pathology Program is ranked eighth in the nation by graduateprograms.com.
- LIU Brooklyn has been named to Payscale.com’s Top 10 Colleges for Producing Graduates Who Make the World a Better Place.
- LIU Brooklyn’s Mental Health Counseling Program is ranked as one of the top 25 mental health programs by graduateprograms.com.
In addition to university-wide accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, LIU’s schools, colleges, and individual degree programs are recognized by many specialized accreditation boards, including the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, the American Psychological Association Commission on Accreditation, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
More than 500 full-time professors teach at LIU, with a significant majority holding the highest degree in their respective fields. The faculty includes numerous Fulbright Scholars, and in 2014, LIU was one of just nine master’s institutions nationwide to have four Fulbright professors teaching abroad. LIU’s faculty also includes Academy Award winners, prominent journalists, award-winning authors, leading scientists whose research has contributed to significant medical advances, and many more experienced and accomplished professionals.
Some of the Programs Offered:
- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Business Administration
- Clinical Psychology
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Health Care Management
- Information Technology Program
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
Life on Campus
- Choice of Campus – LIU has various campuses based on the choice of program selected by the students. They have active, dynamic campuses in Brooklyn, LIU Post which is located on Long Island’s historic Gold Coast along with regional campuses in Hudson, Brentwood & Riverhead. Discover everything LIU has to offer—from world-class faculty to unique experiential learning opportunities to student clubs and organizations where you’ll form lifelong friendships.
- Living at LIU – As an LIU residential student, you will be part of an exciting college community that attracts students from all over the world. Eight campus residence halls of over 1,200 students are tailored to individual needs, from quiet study to semi-private suites. Living on campus allows you to become totally immersed in college life. You will enjoy the freedom of living on your own, while meeting new people and making lasting friendships. Living at LIU provides affordable housing rates, with utilities and laundry included. In addition, several meal plan options are available that can be used at on-campus dining locations.