USA Student Visa Requirements
student visa usa
student visa for usa from india
United States of America is the number one destination for international students, who are looking to have a career advantage with a foreign degree. Each year, the number of international students in the US rises as more and more students choose to study in a place that will broaden their experience.
USA Student Visa Requirements
To get a USA student visa one usually applies for an F1 applicable for academic studies from accredited US Universities and colleges. Before you apply for the visa, you need to have a confirmation from the education institute that you have applied to.
To apply for the visa, you will need the following:
- Form DS-156
- I-20 which shows you are enrolled in a University in USA
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months
- Passport size photographs
- Receipt of payment of visa processing fees
- Documents to show you are a bonafide student
- Documents to show sponsorship and availability of funds
Visa Application Process
Due to various security reasons, USA has made its visa processing stringent. Thus, it is good to start preparing for your visa application early.
To apply for the Visa, pay the necessary visa application fees first via the prescribed methods and retain the receipt. The fee for F-1 visa is about Rs. 13,500, which is non-refundable.
The US government uses the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to track and monitor education institutes, exchange visitor programs and students while they pursue their education in the US.
All visa applicants must have an interview at the consulate or U. S embassy. This is where you submit all the papers. The interview is conducted to gauge your intentions of going to the US. They want to understand whether you are really a student, are you going to go and look for opportunities to stay or work in the USA, and will you return to India on completion of your studies.
1. The Optional Practical Training
- For those students studying STEM Program, USA allows such students to stay in the US for 29 months on a work visa after their education is complete. Students who are applying for non-STEM courses may stay on for 12 months. OPT is suitable for those students who are enrolled into a full-time program and have a valid F-1 status. It is designed to supplement the core area of studies. If you feel you shall benefit from the program, you should definitely opt for it.
- In order to apply for OPT, you need to obtain a recommendation for OPT from School Official. You will have to apply for an employment authorization document to United States Citizenship and Immigration Service within 30 days.
2. Curriculum Practical Training
- CPT is an opportunity to work as an intern during the term of your course. OPT allows you to work after you have finished your education, but if you want to learn practically in your field of studies while you study, CPT is a good choice.
- To apply for CPT you need a valid F1 visa and an authorization from your educational institute. This will allow you to take up an internship for duration of 1 semester to 364 days. Universities usually allow you to take up CPT after you have completed at least 2 semesters of your program.
- If you are planning to study in USA, studyandworkabroad.in can help you choose the best University, obtain the admissions and assist you in your visa process. The team of experts will assist you in each step in your journey till you reach the dream study destination.